Followers

Friday 18 February 2022

Solo Rules Testing - 2

The second of my solo playtest series features the adaption of the WRG 1973 WW2 rules which I am currently working on. Once again this test game used a 4' x 4' table, but the scenario has the option to expand to 6' x 4', and would probably play better with this larger table size. The scenario sketch map is shown below with the full 6' x 4' terrain - the 4' x 4' table leaves out the western two feet containing the village of Strobin.

1' x 1' grid squares.

Scenario - The Action at Jarocin
3rd September 1939

German Forces – from 2nd Panzer Division (determined, attacking from the western baseline)

Force HQ - command base
Heavy Panzer Platoon: 2 x PzIV, 3 x PzII 
Light Panzer Platoon: 2 x PzII, 3 x PzI
Infantry platoon x 2: standard, 1 lorried
Recce section: Sdkfz231 (6-rad), Sdkfz 221
Recce section: Sdkfz222, motorcycle recce section
Weapons section: 2 x 37mm ATG and tows, command group
Mortars: 6 x 8cm, direct support, MFO (car, radio)
Artillery: 4 x 10.5cm, general support, AFO (car, radio)

Polish Forces – from 10th Mechanised Brigade (determined, defending Jarocin and the bridges)

Force HQ - command base
Tank Platoon: 3 x Vickers (single turret), 2 x Vickers (twin turret)
Infantry platoon: standard, + 37mm ATG and tow
Recce section: 1 x TKS (MG), 1 x TKS (20mm)
Weapons section: 37mm ATG and tow, MMG group, command group
Mortars: 2 x 8cm, direct support, MFO (telephone)

Any Polish infantry, infantry support or heavy weapons elements may be dug-in if required.

Scenario Conditions
The Germans must capture the 2 bridges and Jarocin by the end of turn 8 for a total victory. If both bridges are captured but not Jarocin, the game is drawn. Otherwise, the Poles win.
4' x 4' table – the Poles can deploy up to 3' from the eastern baseline. The Germans deploy from their table edge on turn 1.
6' x 4' table – the Poles deploy up to 4' from the eastern baseline. Germans may deploy recce units and up to 2 platoons (infantry or tank) up to 8" from their baseline. Other German units deploy from their base edge on turn 1.
Hills are gentle. Woods east of the river are open: to the west of the river they are dense.

Some Photos of the Game

German light tanks were quickly across the southern bridge.

Recce elements lead the way across the northern bridge.
The heavy tank platoon kept the advanced Polish positions occupied.

The Polish tanks engage the advancing German light tanks, but come off worse.
A Polish anti-tank gun covering the south bridge proves ineffective.

The leading German elements press on into Jarocin.
German infantry engage the Poles west of the river.

Overview - the German advance is going well.

The other Polish 37mm in Jarocin also had little luck.
The leading German armoured car knocked it out with close range 20mm cannon fire.

The Polish platoon in Jarocin had suffered steady casualties,
and was eventually forced to retreat following a morale test.
Jarocin could now be occupied by follow-up forces. The Germans had won with light casualties.

The Project
The 1973 rules have been out of print for decades now, and I'm guessing that few of you reading this are familiar with them. They were ahead of their time when published, and I remain convinced they could form the basis of a good, straightforward and compact set of rules for the whole of WW2. The core rules function very well - for an introduction to the project check out my first post on the subject here.

The basic infantry move is now up to a sensible 150mm (6"), whilst the vehicle moves remain mostly the same as in the original. I have tried to simplify the indirect fire rules and modernise the rules for air attacks. The morale rules are very old school with a long list of factors - I have overhauled these but kept the basic system as I found I had a soft spot for the old fashioned feel of them. I have added in some basic rules for troop quality (which were absent in the original), and I am trying to develop some simple rules that allow for hidden deployment and the odd surprise.

Also needed was a good deal of overall re-writing and re-arrangement to make the rules easier to understand. As I have said, they are basically a simple set but a typical 1970s lack of attention to clarity and exposition left them harder to fathom than needed. Overall, the possibility exists for a rule set covering the whole of WW2, suitable for 20mm down to 6mm size models, that could fit into an Osprey 'blue book'. But anything like publication is way in the future. And how Phil and Sue Barker might feel about publication is an unknown quantity.

This has been an absorbing and useful project so far. If anyone wants a copy of my present ideas, I have word documents of a set for 1939, one for 1944-45 Germans vs. Americans, and one for Germans vs. Russians 1943. These contain details of unit organisation as well as the rules. You would have to leave an email address in the comments, which I could delete once I've made a note of it (unless of course I have your email already). Feedback would be welcome.

In other WW2 news, I have recently bought a copy of the 'O' Group rules and I am working through the online videos made by the Too Fat Lardies. They seem like an original set with a number of quite challenging ideas and mechanics. Not sure how I feel about them at the moment.

Anyway, ancients next in this series. 'Til next time!

14 comments:

Owen Elliott said...

I'm old enough to remember the rules (I still have a copy), but I'm one of those people who likes the 1988 edition. As you've said, diversity is key to our hobby and my preference is more because of my background as an infantry officer and tactics instructor than a judgment of what kind of rules are "better". I just like writing orders in the "proper" format and the narrow restrictions they impose. I've looked at O group but the attempt to model "friction" with loads of dice puts me off. A long-winded comment really meant to say I'm very interested in this project and eagerly await further instalments! And I'd definitely buy them if they're ever published.

Steve J. said...

A nice action there Keith and I'm glad you're enjoying playing and modifying these old rules. I've considered 'O' Group but they just don't tick enough boxes for me, given I'm more than happy with BKCII and my house rules.

Keith Flint said...

Owen, I'm in awe of anyone who could actually play the 1988 rules. I tried them once but only got halfway through the first move before my opponent and I found we had no idea how to continue.

I can certainly see where you're coming from with your background in the army, but the bad news is I find orders a time-consuming and often confusing mechanism which doesn't add to my personal play experience - and as such I've removed any reference to orders in my amended rules! Apologies.

I'm with you as regards 'O' Group - but I want to at least try and play and play the system before I bin it!

Norm said...

Another enjoyable post in the series. I had the rules and flitted between them and the ones by Leicester Micro Models. I did like the page that had all the armour categories on, I love seeing at a glance how armour / gun penetrations compare and since these rules group vehicles by their armour, that was easy to do.

I have ‘O’ Group, have not played it much, but have enjoyed the games that I have played and again, I find the gun / armour representations well done. I will be getting more of it to the table over the coming months.

Jim Walkley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Walkley said...

Very interesting Keith. I have the 1988 version of WRG but have not played them although I found them an interesting read. The tables were adapted for use with my version on Grant's 'Battle' rules. I hope that Phil and Sue Barker would be amenable to your version as they allowed DBN. I would certainly like to see a copy of your ideas at some time. Best wishes. Jim

Nick Elsden said...

An interesting scenario, Keith, and it will be most intriguing to see how the adaptation of the old WRG rules works out. If the much longer infantry moves end up not quite working, perhaps something along the line of 'X-inches if not under fire; Y-inches if under fire' might have potential ?

Regards, Nick

Graham C said...

Oh my I do so much remember these, in fact my regular gaming opponent still has his copy. I think they were ahead of their time and am mightily interested in your work on these would certainly be looking at 44-45 ( Arnhem and DDay breakout) so if you still have my e.mail Keith I wouldn’t mind seeing what you’ve achieved so far.
Graham

Keith Flint said...

@ Nick - an infantry move of 150mm works well. I have added basic rules that might give good troops an extended move, or reduce the move of poor troops. How anybody gamed successfully with a 50mm infantry move beats me!

Keith Flint said...

@ Graham - will be in touch soon.

Keith Flint said...

Graham - I only have an old Yahoo email for you from the Crann Tara site. I just emailed the new Crann Tara address with info on the Cotswold Wargaming Day. Let me know if that's OK.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating project. I was delighted to find I still have my copy, which as a teenager weaned on Grant's book I thought was the last word in sophistication when I acquired it somehow in the mid-70s. I know what you mean about assuming a level of understanding: it was all quite mysterious - no melee?! - and this was the first time I had come across the concept of "neutralisation" - I was never very sure I understood it! I remember trying a few small desert tank battles (with Leicester Micro Models I think, and - perhaps significantly - no infantry) which seemed to go quite smoothly. Interesting to note now that the authors cite their direct military experience. I would certainly welcome an Osprey if that ever becomes a possibility - always good to see something in this series which isn't another skirmish game, IMHO. Watching with interest!
Colkitto

tindalosion said...

I wold certainly be interested as I have fond memories of playing the WRF "cold war varaint" back in the eighties.

My email is: tindalosion@gmail.com

Keith Flint said...

@tindalosion - I am currently working on a version for the whole of WW2, including additional changes to the original. I'll make a note of your email address - when I have something really worth puting out there I hope to email all interested parties.