Followers

Sunday 20 August 2017

Bargain Basement 2

Just as no horse and musket wargame is complete without a windmill, no ancient wargamer could possibly think his collection finished without a temple building amongst his terrain items. The problem I had was that the wargame temples I found online were extremely expensive, like this one.

Luckily I had the guidance of a veteran wargamer. Stuart advised me to search out aquarium ornaments, and sure enough there were several to choose from online. I ended up choosing this one, but at the bargain price of £11.95 (an offer that seems to have been suspended for the moment). As with my previous bargains, I was pleased with my purchase, which you can see in the photos below.



No painting required, and some suitably exotic bushes have taken root in the ruins. Perhaps I might have preferred a temple that wasn't ruined, but beggars cannot be choosers. I just hope there aren't too many readers out there thinking, "it looks too much like a fish tank ornament for my money". Well, you pays your money...

3 comments:

Steve J. said...

Looks fine to me and at a great price. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have thought it was a fish tank ornament at all.

Norm said...

Aquatic centres all over the place must be wondering why their sales have increased on scenery items, the interest in Bolt Action Japanese actions (and of course Sci-Fi) seems to have given a boost to terrain being done with aquarium plastic vegetation. Also some of the resin pieces are great for Pulp Fiction games.

The footprint of your piece seems just right for the table.

Keith Flint said...

As you say Norm, using plastic aquarium vegetation has a long history in wargaming. I think Mr Featherstone may have been the first to recommend it way back when.