Followers

Monday 6 November 2023

STARTLINE - Wargaming World War Two

I have mentioned previously on this blog my work on a set of company-level WW2 rules inspired by the WRG 1973 set 'Armour and Infantry'. I have spent many pleasant hours working on these rules recently, and thought it was now time to open up the content to my fellow gamers.


The changes to the original rules have increased to the extent that I now consider the rules to be a new and separate set, which I have called Startline. You can go to the group via the link below, and join up if you wish:

All interested wargamers are welcome to join. If you have not received a specific invitation, membership is subject to approval, to keep out spammers. 

You can download the present version of the rules and a few other files I have included for background. At the moment a QRS is not available, mainly because creating one is a bit of an issue. Startline covers the whole of WW2, but each wargamer will only want the details relating to the part of WW2 he or she is gaming. So I'm still working on a useable format.

Those of you on the CWD mailing list should have received an invitation email - if not, one will arrive in the next day ot two. Apologies if this represents unwanted junk mail - just ignore it and it will go away! Wargamers who have expressed an interest in my ongoing work via this site should also receive an invite - but if you want to just go straight to the group and sign up, that's fine.

Finally, this is a just a hobby project at the moment. The group is there for individual gamers to download a set of rules, game with them if they wish, and post any comments or suggestions they have. In other words, we are just exchanging ideas on a personal set of rules. 

I hope to hear from you via the comments on this post, or via the group. 
 

18 comments:

Steve J. said...

Well this all sounds rather fun and so am off to register and look forward to seeing what you've done since we last played:).

Keith Flint said...

Thanks Steve. I reckon this will be a slow burner, but we'll see how things develope...

Tiberian general said...

Aha that explains a random email I received today, I thought it was from a car finance company. So I will remove it from the spam folder 😁 .




Willz.

Keith Flint said...

Sorry Wilz. I thought I had arranged for an accompanying message to be sent, but it seems that didn't happpen.

Michael Harker said...

Any chance of a quick outline of game concept. What size of units represented etc?

Keith Flint said...

It's company level. Similar to FoW. Basically 1 to 1 representation, but infnatry etc. grouped on bases.

Basic unit is the platoon.

Keith Flint said...

Ifnatry? You know what I mean!

Stuart S said...

Interesting stuff Keith, I used to play the originals a lot, so interested in seeing your improvements.
Cheers
Stu

Keith Flint said...

Looking forward to your thoughts Stuart.

Jennifer said...

I will check it out. Have been snipping WWII Paperboys (by illustrator Peter Dennis) and reading about A Very British Civil War, so I'm interested to see how the rules will work with either.

Pelataan said...

Your post left me with a lot to ponder. Thanks for the intellectual stimulation!

Jim Walkley said...

Rather late but I have joined your group. There is a lot to read and take in. I am hoping that I can get back into WW2 games but unfortunately (?) I find I enjoy SYW and Napoleonic games more. Not sure why. Best wishes.

Keith Flint said...

Excellent Jim. I hope you find something of interest in the rules.

James Shepherd said...

Hello Keith, hope you may be able to help. I am attempting, without success so far, to register on your HoW forum.

I am having great difficulty with, it seems, user name.

I seem to be doing the password d.o.b. o.k.

You're sincerely

James Shepherd

James Shepherd said...

Yours sincerely, not your e sincerely.

Keith Flint said...

Sorry I missed your comment James - have you managed to join? I guess you want to gather up what content you can before the site closes.

Geoff Nichol said...

Keith sound very interesting, I have applied to join the group. I play the WRG A&I 1988 rules solo. 2 years ago I received a new version of the 1988 rules from Steven Bowns, a WRG
Board member until his tragic and unexpected death. Will comment more within the group

Keith Flint said...

Hi Geoff. My hat is off to you - I could never make head nor tail or the 1988 rules. After literally months of reading and re-reading, I tried a game with a friend and we only got about halfway through the first move before we gave up.